The past three weeks in class we've been working on a single painting. The subject was another still life of fruits and bottles, but because this would be a longer term project I decided to make something a little more abstract. For reference, here's a picture of what the still life looked like:
Here's what I had after the first day:
The first time around I was basically just playing. I tried to keep the objects cool and the background and sheets warm, but other than that there wasn't much of a game plan.
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the painting from week 2. I spent that week moving things around quite a bit and trying to introduce some values to give the painting more depth.
Here's the painting now after week 3:
I basically had the composition worked out from the previous week, so the only things I dealt with in this last round were color and value. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Giving the paint a chance to dry so you can come back and make changes makes a big difference.